Friday, March 14, 2008

Am I a "Black American" or an "African American"?

Salaam (Peace) to all...

A question was asked of me, and others, today, about whether we consider ourselves to be "African" Americans or "Black" Americans; and it was put to us in such a way as to suggest that we had to choose one of those two categories.

I had somewhat of a problem with that because I reject the notion that anyone outside of me can "define" me. So, for this person to say "you are either this or that", without any regard for what the Creator has made me...I reject that notion.

"America" is nothing more than an "idea" agreed upon by people. If the people cease to agree upon the idea, then "America" would cease to exist.

What I am, I am REGARDLESS of what people agree on or disagree on. I am not "an Idea"...I am that which Produces Ideas. So, I refuse to be "defined" by such a cheap term as "American"...especially when the Essence of ME will be around long after the "idea" of America is forgotten in the minds of the people.

The fact that I am a Black Man, born in America, does not make me a "Black American", any more than a kitten's being born in an oven makes it a "biscuit"...lol (Thanking Malcolm X for that analogy...)

I am That "I AM"...and so are you. (smile)

RM

No comments:

Post a Comment