Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CONGRATULATIONS, President Obama!

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...the Best Knower.

Today is a day that most never thought they'd live to see -- the day when a Black Man would be sworn in as the President of the United States of America.

As I watched and listened to President Barack Obama's Inaugural Speech, I was touched by the frankness and sincerity of his words and his tone; I was moved by his reaching out to the rest of the world in the spirit of reconciliation; and I must admit...I got a little misty over the sight of Black Men and Women shedding tears of joy, tears of hope, tears of vindication, tears of relief, over what the world may well consider a victory and a turning point for the United States of America.

Honestly, this was the most beautiful inauguration ceremony I have witnessed in my lifetime, and it certainly inspired an equally beautiful spirit in those present and many watching across the country and around the world.

Barack Obama is clearly a "new" President, with a new Vision -- a much needed vision -- for America.

However, I can't help but wonder...

Will those around President Obama who have worked so hard to create the current political climate, who are yet fully intent on formulating unjust foreign policies and prosecuting unjust wars, who have fought "tooth and nail" to suck the blood of the poor, so they could remain rich...will they help President Obama realize his expressed ideals, when doing so means giving up their own?

I wonder, indeed.

For sure, our new President will need more than the support of the American people to realize his vision. He will need the Guidance, Help and Protection of the God who speaks from the Bible on which he took his oath of Office. Very fitting, then, that he should end his oath of office with the words "So Help Me God".

Indeed, Mr. President, if you go with God, then God will go with you...and so will we.

May God Bless, Guide, Protect and Strengthen you, Mr. President!

RM

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:03 PM PST

    First I want to say hello don't have to send well wishes; I see that you are definitely in a great place not allowing the world to get you down.
    Rueben, I enjoyed this blog and would like permission to save a copy for myself? This day we all viewed history being made once again; and for me PROUD doesn't describe fully what I felt today. A young black lady in the audience when asked what this day meant to her and all she could say through her tears was " I can't believe the First Lady looks like me", For us that are 50 and under this piece of history belongs to us also; I say that because I never thought at least not in my lifetime this would happen so I am sharing with my children not only the excitement but the significance and importance of such a beautiful step forward for our people. We truly have something to be proud of today.

    Toni (26th)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Toni! Good hearing from you. Hope all is well with you and the Family! I'm ok, by God's Grace and Mercy...TRYING to GET in that "great place"...lol. But God is Good, and I have no real complaints...just grateful for Life and its experiences, yanno?

    Please feel free to copy whatever you like of my writings. We all feed from, and feed, each other!

    God Bless!

    Reuben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Janice!

    Spread the Word!

    RM

    ReplyDelete